|Pictured (from left): Sandy Green (holding granddaughter Silja), Chris Temple and Shonda Corbett, Local Government FCU; Diana Meehan, Cabot Creamery Cooperative; Jeff Hardin, NCCUL; and Michael Spink, Local Government FCU.
"I volunteer because I want to help make people's lives better," said a surprised Shonda Corbett after finding out she had won an all-expenses paid cruise for two to Alaska later this year. Corbett, who serves as an Advisory Council Member for Local Government FCU, received the award at the Co-op-A-Fair event held in Durham June 2nd.
The prize, awarded by Cabot Creamery Cooperative, was created to honor community volunteers who give generously of their time and talents. Working with Celebrity Cruise Lines, Cabot is providing 45 volunteers nationwide the opportunity to participate in the week long, round trip cruise from Seattle to Alaska in September.
LGFCU Member Development Officer Chris Temple nominated Corbett for the award. He noted that Corbett is a lifelong volunteer, having worked with 4-H of Columbus County, NC as a child. In the years since, she has been a dedicated community volunteer, especially in the areas of protecting children and older adults.
"I nominated Shonda because she is committed to the communities in which she works and lives," said Temple. "She never hesitates to take on new volunteer opportunities.
"Whether it's serving on LGFCU's Advisory Council, volunteering at Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheater or participating in Wake County's Department of Aging, Shonda dedicates her free time to improving the lives of others."
Corbett currently serves on several volunteer committees. A partial list includes:
• Town of Cary, Koka Booth Amphitheatre, Community Advisory Committee
• Wake County Nursing Home and Adult Care Community Advisory Committee, Resident Advocate
• G.O.L.D. (Growing Older and Living with Dignity) Coalition Committee, Sub Committee for Transportation
• Wake County Master Aging Plan, Co-Chair
• Poll worker for Wake County Board of Elections
• Durham, NC Mayor’s Committee for Persons with Disabilities
• Local Government Federal Credit Union, Advisory Council Member
• State of North Carolina Justus-Warren Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Task Force.
These volunteer commitments are in addition to two jobs Corbett currently holds. Corbett also recently received a Master's Degree in Public Administration from NC Central University.
"Shonda represents the spirit and heart of all the good people who volunteer in their communities," said Diana Meehan, Cabot Creamery Cooperative's Director of Marketing/National Programs. "On behalf of our farm family owners, we are honored she will join like souls from around the country on this trip of a lifetime."